Philippine banned from travelling to Kuwait for work

January 21, 20180

President Rodrigo Duterte has banned Philippine citizens from travelling to Kuwait to work following reports of widespread abuse and exploitation, his spokesman said Saturday.

Duterte ordered the ban after reports emerged about the deaths of several Filipina women, his spokesman Harry Roque said. “In line with his presidential pronouncement, Labour Secretary Silvestre Bello has ordered the suspension of the deployment of workers to Kuwait,”

Roque told reporters. “There is really excessive suffering over there,” Roque said, adding that the ban was “long overdue”. An estimated 10 million Filipinos work overseas and the money they send home is a major pillar of the Philippine economy. It was not immediately clear how long the ban, which does not affect workers already in Kuwait, would last.

Kuwait is a major destination for migrant workers with the Kuwaiti government estimating that more than 170,000 Philippine nationals live there. Other groups have far higher estimates.

Number of the Filipinos in Kuwait has exceeded 170,000, thus the four cases mentioned in the president statement “cannot be used as a criterion to assess the overall status of the Philippines’ laborers in the country,” he said. Legal measures had been taken against the four Filipinos, Al- Jarallah added.

Source : Arabtimes

Philippine banned from travelling to Kuwait for work was last modified: by

Filed in: AllGlobal News
Tagged with:

Back to Top

X
X
X